As the warm weather arrives, so do seasonal allergies for some. Do you ever feel like there is no escape from the discomfort of allergies, even in your own home? Your home should be a comfortable oasis from the constant allergy symptoms caused by tree pollen, but unfortunately this is not the case for some. Poor indoor air quality can heighten allergies and create negative health effects. It is important for your health and home to maintain good air quality, and the Miller’s Heating and Air Conditioning team can help you find the best home solution. In this article, we identify signs you have poor indoor air quality in Norfolk, VA and how to improve it!
What Is Indoor Air Quality?
To be able to identify signs of poor indoor air quality, it is first important to be knowledgeable on the subject. Indoor air quality (IAQ) describes the amount of pollutants and quality of air in a home or building. We spend a large amount of time at home or in an office, which is why it is important to know what you are breathing in each day! Indoor air can often be more polluted than outdoor air due to the lack of ventilation. Poor indoor air quality can lead to a variety of both short-term and long-term health effects and symptoms, such as:
- Irritated eyes, nose, throat
- Respiratory & heart diseases
It is easy to blame common cold symptoms on seasonal changes or outdoor allergy symptoms, but your home’s air quality could be the root of the cause. If you experience any of these poor indoor air quality signs, give us a call! At Miller’s Heating and Air Conditioning, your health and comfort are two of our top priorities. We offer indoor air quality services in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and other surrounding areas to ensure you are breathing easy inside your home.
Causes Of Poor Indoor Air Quality
Many homeowners are unaware of how many everyday products and tasks affect indoor air quality. Simply opening a window or cleaning a surface can negatively contribute to the air you breathe. While we do not suggest being afraid to open a window or use certain products, we encourage homeowners to be aware of the causes of poor air quality. Below are six causes that contribute to poor indoor air quality in Chesapeake, VA and surrounding areas.
- Ventilation. Pollutants can build up in your home without proper ventilation. Air circulation is critical to good IAQ, such as utilizing ceiling fans and allowing fresh air to enter your home.
- Humidity. Humidity isn’t always a bad thing! Your home should maintain humidity levels between 30-60% for ideal comfort and minimal health effects.
- Combustion Appliances. Some homes have appliances that burn fuel to operate, such as ovens, stoves, furnaces, fireplaces, and water heaters. These appliances can release harmful gasses such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide.
- Asbestos. Asbestos can be found in various places around your home, typically through construction or DIY projects. Breathing in asbestos fibers can lead to several serious diseases.
- Household Products. It is important to invest in natural household products to avoid poor air quality. Many cleaning agents and artificial fragrances can contribute to harmful allergens.
- Natural Pollutants. Dust, pet dander, and mold are all common natural indoor pollutants in Virginia homes. Each of these natural pollutants can heighten allergy symptoms and lead to discomfort.
How To Improve IAQ In Virginia Beach
At Miller’s Heating and Air Conditioning, we can evaluate your home’s air quality and direct you towards the best solution for you, your home, and budget. Similar to putting beneficial food in our bodies, it is important to breathe in beneficial air to maintain our desired health levels. Below are ways Miller’s can help you improve indoor air quality.
- Air Purifiers & Cleaners
- UV Light Filtration Systems
- HVAC Maintenance
Air Purifiers & Cleaners
Air purifiers and cleaners work to remove pollutants from the air in a given area. These devices pull in polluted air, remove allergens, and release clean air back into your home. They target all harmful contaminants and are one of the best ways to improve indoor air quality. Give our team a call to install an air purifier or cleaner in Virginia Beach, VA!
UV Light Filtration Systems
Many homes in Virginia struggle with mold and mildew in their homes due to the high humidity. UV light filtration systems target mold, mildew, and bacteria. The ultraviolet rays emitted destroy the allergen’s DNA makeup, which removes the threat of decreasing indoor air quality. To learn more or install a UV light filtration system in Norfolk, VA or surrounding areas, give the Miller’s team a call!
Routine HVAC maintenance provides many benefits for your home, including improving indoor air quality. A trained Miller’s technician will thoroughly clean the inside and outside of your heating or cooling unit, clean and replace air filters, and ensure your home’s air is high quality. We remove dust, debris, and other pollutants from the inside of the unit to prevent pollutants from being distributed throughout your home, as well as ensure your home’s air filters are effectively catching allergens. Give us a call to schedule AC maintenance in Chesapeake, VA and surrounding areas this spring!
There are various ways homeowners can improve indoor air quality themselves, such as:
- Regularly Change Air Filters
- Control Humidity
- Clean Air Vents
- Groom Pets Outdoors
Benefits Of Good Indoor Air Quality
Taking action to improve your home’s air quality can provide an array of advantages for you and your home. Improving indoor air quality is not only beneficial to your health, but your HVAC system’s health as well. Below we have listed six benefits of good indoor air quality.
- Decreases Allergy Symptoms
- Improves Sleep
- Eliminates Odors
- Lowers Utility Bills
- Easier Breathing
- Reduces Allergens & Mold Growth
Let the expert technicians at Miller’s Heating and Air Conditioning keep you breathing easy this spring and summer season. We proudly offer quality indoor air quality services and AC maintenance in the Virginia Beach area!