The spring and summer seasons bring many activities for each resident in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and other surrounding areas. Some families go on vacation, while others enjoy the beautiful weather right here at home. Regardless of the activity, it is always nice to have extra savings to spend for your enjoyment. As we transition from heating to cooling our homes, many homeowners wonder how they can save money on various utilities. While air conditioning, electricity, and water are all necessary utilities, it doesn’t mean each one has to break the bank. In this blog, we discuss ways to save money on cooling, plumbing, and electrical costs in Virginia Beach, VA and surrounding areas.
How To Save On Cooling Bills
While the summer and spring season bring warm temperatures to Virginia Beach, the seasons can also bring high cooling costs. At Miller’s Heating and Air Conditioning, we believe comfort should always be affordable. It is important to know how to keep AC costs low before the summer season is in full swing, so you can maximize savings. Below are four ways to keep cooling costs low in Virginia Beach.
- Install A Smart Thermostat: Smart thermostats monitor temperature preferences and adjust accordingly throughout the day, such as during the work day or while you are sleeping. The closer your thermostat to the outdoor temperature, the more you will save on cooling costs. According to Energy Star, smart thermostats can save up to 8% on heating and cooling bills.
- Utilize Ceiling Fans: Did you know that ceiling fans spin in opposite directions for both summer and winter seasons? If your ceiling fan rotates counterclockwise, it creates a downward breeze and allows rooms to feel cooler to our skin. Utilizing ceiling fans can allow homeowners to adjust the thermostat setting without feeling a comfort difference, which saves on cooling costs.
- Close Curtains & Blinds: Sunlight beaming in your home can add unwanted heat and make your home feel warmer. Be sure to close curtains and blinds during the day to keep your home cool and lower the workload on your air conditioner, which saves energy.
- Schedule AC Maintenance: Air conditioning maintenance ensures your air conditioning unit is operating efficiently and effectively. The less energy your air conditioner uses, the more you will save on monthly cooling costs. Give us a call to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Virginia Beach!
How To Save On Water Bills
Water is a necessity in your home, and many underestimate the amount each home uses until it malfunctions. A few home activities that revolve around water are washing clothes, dishes, hands, and showering. While water is a home essential, high bills are not. Below we have listed four ways to maintain low water bills in Virginia Beach, VA.
- Utilize Dishwasher: Contrary to popular belief, hand washing dishes can actually use more water than using the dishwasher. Washing dishes by hand can use more than 20 gallons of water, while dishwashers often use 3.5 gallons or less.
- Avoid Letting The Faucet Run: It may be easier to leave the faucet running while brushing your teeth or washing your face, but it uses unnecessary water in the meantime. Be sure to turn off the faucet when not in use to save on water bills this season!
- Shorten Shower Time: Long, hot showers can be relaxing from time to time, but we recommend limiting long showers as much as possible. Shortening the amount of time you are in the shower can save multiple gallons of water each month.
- Identify & Fix Water Leaks: Household water leaks can waste up to 10,000 gallons of water each year. Some water leaks can be hard to identify, such as running toilets. If you notice your water bill is unusually high, give a Miller’s technician a call to identify potential water leaks!
How To Save On Electrical Bills
While air conditioning and hot water are important utilities, most homes can not do either without electricity! Our homes rely on electricity for cooling, refrigeration, electronics and various other appliances. Due to electricity powering all of our home essentials, it can make electric costs skyrocket. Below are four ways to save on electricity bills in Virginia Beach.
- Unplug Unused Items: If your home has electronics or other items plugged in that are hardly used, we recommend leaving them unplugged. Devices plugged in continue to use electricity even if it is not turned on. Additionally, surge protectors can reduce energy usage and a Miller’s technician can safely install one in your home!
- Turn Off Lights: Many homeowners accidentally leave unnecessary lights on throughout the day and night, which use much more electricity than needed. Be sure to turn off lights when they are not needed to save on electric costs.
- Install Energy Efficient Appliances: There are a variety of home appliances that use significantly less electricity to operate. If an appliance such as your dishwasher, refrigerator, or microwave needs replacing, we recommend considering energy efficient options to save on electricity bills!
- Switch To LED Lights: The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that LED light bulbs use up to 90% less energy and last almost 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
There are many things homes can function without, but air conditioning, water, and electricity are not one of them. To keep utility costs low in Norfolk, VA this spring and summer season, let a professional Miller’s technician help! We can perform preventative AC maintenance, install surge protectors, and ensure your home has no water leaks in Virginia Beach and surrounding areas. Your home comfort should always be an affordable option, and we are here to help maintain your comfort budget!