Our Simple Checks Help Prevent the Need for Repairs
When it comes to spring cleaning, we don’t usually hear homeowners yelling: “Woo hoo! I get to spring clean!” After all, no one really looks forward to this annual maintenance task. However, the feeling of satisfaction we get once we’re done can be quite uplifting. So as the new season gently rolls in, Miller’s—the area’s best choice for cooling and heating services in Norfolk—is here to remind you that a decent spring cleaning of your plumbing system is a really good idea. But if you follow a few simple spring cleaning rules now, you’ll be better suited to avoid repairs or replacements later!
Check These, Mate
When something is out of sight, it can often be out of mind. This certainly holds true for the pipes of your plumbing system. But the truth is: Ignoring your pipes won’t make them go away. So let’s show those pipes the TLC they deserve!
Do these plumbing checks to ensure your home runs smoothly this spring:
- Clean showerheads. Have you noticed mineral buildup on your showerhead each time you step into the shower? Give it a thorough cleaning to prevent problems down the line.
- Check toilet handles. Are your toilets flushing properly? Or do you need to jiggle the handle or press down to make them flush? If you find yourself doing the latter, it’s time for a replacement.
- Check the temperature on your water heater. Spring is the perfect time to check the temperature on your water heater. Remember to keep it around 120 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid scalding and to preserve energy efficiency.
- Investigate appliance hoses. Check in on the hoses that connect your dishwasher, washing machine and icemaker. If any appear loose or are over 10 years old, it’s time to replace them.
- Check all of your exposed pipes. Take a walk around your house—both indoors and outdoors. Check all of your exposed pipes carefully for leaks or unhealthy wear and tear. If you notice a leak or something suspicious, give us a call!
- Double check unused drains. Do you have little-used bathrooms or mudrooms with sinks or drains that are rarely used? Flush them out with some hot water to clear the pipes and prevent smells from bubbling up. If you think you have a clog, use a drain snake to clear the blockage.
- Clean out gutters and drain spouts. Clogged gutters and drain spouts can only lead to backups and plumbing nightmares. Be sure to clear your gutters and spouts of debris and other gunk that may have collected over the winter months.
- Clean behind the toilet. This is an icky job, but failing to do it regularly helps foster nasty germs or mold growth. A solid bleach cleaning behind the toilet keeps this area sanitized—and your family safe.
- Check in with your garbage disposal. Our garbage disposals work like magic, right? Until they stop working. Be sure to give yours the TLC it needs by giving it a simple cleaning. There are home remedies that include ice cubes, baking soda, lemon slices and bleach. But if you need professional help, our team will be there!
- Call Miller’s for a thorough plumbing checkup! If these tips and tricks seem too overwhelming, you can always leave the plumbing checks to the professionals! Miller’s Heating & Air Conditioning is only a call away.
Hopping Into Spring Is Easy With Miller’s!
As the area’s No.1 choice for plumbing, heating and cooling, Miller’s is happy to help you start your spring season off on the right foot. Call our team for your annual AC checkup, indoor air quality questions or even more info on our HVAC maintenance plans. We always aim to satisfy our customers!